Monday, July 9, 2012

July 4th and seeing Grandpa do his "soldier" thang!

I haven't really posted regularly lately. Trying to fill my etsy shop, prepare for a craft show in August, take care of 4 kids, keep the house in a liveable state, and deal with the drama that surrounds me is exhausting. I am hoping to get life under control this week (like I can control crazy!) and get back to tutorials and other projects. Anyway, this is what we did for Independence day.


My father is in the Texas State Guard. On July 4th, a friend of his asked him to swear her in. I have never seen my father do anything with the state guard, much less see him in his fatigues. My girls, I realized the day before, didn't even know the Grandpa was a soldier. That what they kept saying anyway. My father was actually in the Air Force as a young man. Flying huge planes into Vietnam to drop off supplies for troops. He has always loved to fly and would always tell me what type of plane it was when one flew over. My father is just a wealth of information. So, as my father got older, he still wants to help his country. We have a joke in my family that my father is determined to "save the world." He was in the air force, then later he joined our community volunteer fire department, then later he went through major school to become a paramedic. Then he was in the Texas Task Force, rescuing people during national disasters. Now he is in the state guard. My Dad has a great heart for his fellow man.



Anyway, so as a family, we went to Washington on the Brazos, the birthplace of Texas. If your born and raised in Texas this is definitely some history you, if you don't already know it, should know. This is where the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed. There are historical markers all over this gorgeous area. It is right off the Brazos river and just a beauty to behold. Elena was our little tour guide for the whole trip. Apparently she learn Texas history in the last month of school. The words "a Plethora of information" comes to mind. She knew so much, it was ridiculous. She is 6.

Elena and Kiera in front of the Texas Declaration of Independence


We and my girls. Gabriel was more interested in his drink than joining in. 



So we toured the grounds while waiting for the swearing in ceremony. It was lots of fun. It was hot though, it is June in Texas. So, we took it slow. Gabriel especially. G-Man was going to go his own pace and would not let anyone rush him.



So, then it was about time for the ceremony. We watched the troops march in. Gabriel thought that was cool. Well, he was really paying attention. Sort of started marching with them at one point. Then they marched to the spot where we watched my father swear his fellow guardsman in. It was kind of cool seeing my father in this role. I have never seen him look so official. I was a proud daughter.



So, then we hit McD's with Grandpa and Elaine and headed home. The minions were so tired. Most of them fell asleep in the car on the way home. But we just bought a new pool for them and we were not going to get away with not going in the pool. Its nothing big, but its bigger than last years pool. I think we are slowly graduating to needing one with a pump next year. But they had a blast.


Apparently we did a good job of keeping the kids busy this independence day. NO ONE made it to the fireworks. We were going to take them to George Bush Library to see the fireworks, but Nevin and Gabriel were out before we even had a chance to see them. Elena and Kiera were upset, but so tired that they didn't put up much of a fuss. We watch multiple fireworks on TV and they went to bed happy and tired and let Mommy and Daddy have some alone time. It was a great day! Hopefully next year they will all be old enough to last till the fireworks. I love fireworks!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fabulous 4th! Thank your Dad for his service for me :) My hubby is big into war time history and I am always gaining new insight and appreciation for the men and women that serve this country.
    I'm a new follower too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a really good time! I am with you on the new insight! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. Looks like y'all had a great 4th! Your Dad is amazing for all he does. :)

    ReplyDelete