Tuesday, June 5, 2012

DIY Bug Trapper

DIY BUG TRAPPER

OK, I hate bugs. They are disgusting and I want them gone! So I figured out how to trap flying bugs. With it being summer and the kids are in and out of the house, the flies and gnats are abundant. So here is my tutorial on a Bug trapper using nothing more than an empty two litter, sugar, vinegar and water. Scissors and tape should be included in that but they are secondary.
 First, take an exacto knife and cut the top of the bottle about three inches below the spout.


Then measure 1/2 cup of vinegar. You can use just about any vinegar, I used white because that's what I had in the house, but to be honest, apple cider works sooooo much better.


Then measure 1/2 cup of sugar (regular sugar) and pour it in. 


Shake it up. 


Add enough water to fill it close to half full. Then take the top 
that you cut off and flip it upside down in the bottle, like so....


Then using tape, seal the bottle top to the bottle, so nothing can escape. Even the tiniest hole in the seal can allow bugs out. 


Not exactly pretty, but it works. Put it in an area that the bugs seem to collect around, I put it near the trash can. The bugs will be attracted to the liquid, go in the hole, but will not be smart enough to get out!
NO MORE BUGS!!

Hope you like this short tutorial. These have been a lifesaver during the summers of kid in and out of the house and leaving doors open. Please let me know if you try this at home and please share, pin, tweet!!!

Published on these link parties: 

 


Tuesday To Do FEatured





Crafty Confessions


http://www.thethriftyhome.com







Lil\'Luna








SNAP Conference










FamilyConnectionSummerbutton5

10 comments:

  1. OOOHH Love this! Leaving for camp next week and I think I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Probably would come in handy for camping!! Good idea!

      Delete
  2. I may have to try that, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thanks for joining the Family Connections Blog Hop!

    Amy @ Missional Mama
    http://missionalmamassoul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm...that is way too simple!! Thanks so much for sharing - I'm off to raid my pantry :)

    Thanks for linking up with the Summer Connections blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple, but effective. True story, I went to throw one away in the trash can, to be picked up the next day. Any and all flies were gone the next morning when I went to put it out!

      Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  5. I should do this. I hate bugs too!

    ReplyDelete